Friday 15 October 2010

What a week! My waters broke 10 weeks early Blog 6 16/10/09

So – lots to tell.  Embarrassingly, my waters broke whilst I was walking along Regent Street.

I was wearing jeans, and the wet patch got bigger and bigger.  I had to dive into Top Shop and buy some leggings.  I then went to McDonalds to change, and it was a torrent.  Not what I was expecting at 29 weeks!!  Anyway, by the time I got to work, my leggings were soaked through.  I borrowed a pair of knickers (thanks Denise!), and some jogging bottoms (thanks Amy!!), and got taken to UCH hospital in a taxi.

Hours later, I was transferred to my hospital (Whipps Cross) where I was made to stay until someone decided what to do with me.  A consultant I saw was convinced that the baby would arrive in a few days.  I wasn’t so sure.

Hospitals are boring places, I thought I was going to go mad.  My hopes were raised on Sunday though – I’d had no contractions, so I was looking forward to going home.  Things were going to be difficult I knew – I was still leaking, so my life was going to have to change a bit.  I had no idea how much….

2.30 am, Monday morning, I woke up with stomach pain.  Yes, you guessed it, they were contractions.  To cut a long, painful story short, at 8.28 am, I gave birth to Gracie Ruby.  She weighed 3lb, 7oz, and she is gorgeous.  She’s being well looked after in the Special Care Baby Unit, and I miss her terribly – it’s going to be weeks before I can bring her home.

The next few weeks are going to be tough for me – you always assume that when you go into hospital to have a baby, you’ll leave the hospital with her….

No comments:

Post a Comment